If you wish to avoid damage or stains to your teeth, then you are in the right place. Your teeth are a valuable asset in our lives that are often taken for granted. Did you know, your smile is usually the first thing a person sees when they meet you? Keeping your teeth in excellent health and condition can improve the appearance of your smile and maintain your oral health in check.
Your dentists with Elite Smiles in Saint Augustine, Florida, care about your oral health and are happy to give you some tips on which foods can darken your teeth to remind you the importance of brushing and flossing regularly to avoid staining.
Here is a list of tasty treats and drinks that can damage or stain your teeth:
- A favorite spice called curry can appear in many delicious and popular dishes. The deep yellow pigment in curry contains a yellow dye that can latch onto your teeth and cause severe staining.
- Red wine has dark colors and is high in acids that can stain your teeth quickly. Surprisingly, white wine contains higher acidity than red wine, which can cause more discoloration in a yellowish hue to your teeth.
- Coffee is made from dark beans and ingredients that can quickly darken your teeth and cause them to lose their white shine quickly.
- Various kinds of teas can cause your white teeth to fade and wear away your tooth enamel, including white teas.
- Sodas encompass many dyes that can damage and stain your teeth.
- Sports drinks are incredibly high in various acids and dyes that can darken your teeth. Including sugar-free sports drinks can cause your teeth to become discolored and stained.
If you do consume some of these foods, remember to mix them with vegetables like kale, spinach because they can counter well with the dyes in the foods and help brush away the dark hues from your teeth as you eat. Similarly, some foods like apples and pears, for example, have high watery substances, which can easily slide around your teeth, making these foods like a natural floss.
If you have questions about your oral health or are in need of a dental checkup or a teeth-whitening treatment, then our office can help you! Please call us today at 904.201.4304 to make an appointment. Our dental team looks forward to your call and is happy to help give you a white and beautiful smile.