Five Common Symptoms Jacksonville TMJ Sufferers Endure Every Day
Temporomandibular joint disorders (TMJ) are common causes for serious pain in the ear, nose, throat, and head area for many people. This disorder can range from being mild to severe. No matter what extent of TMJ you experience, the pain that goes along with the symptoms can be excruciating, lowering your overall quality of life.
If you are not sure whether you have TMJ, here are a few of the most common symptoms Jacksonville TMJ sufferers’ experience:
- Migraines. Perhaps the most common and worst symptoms of TMJ are migraine headaches. These painful and often debilitating headaches can significantly lower the quality of life for those who suffer from them. Migraines start in the head and neck region and impact the entire body.
- Jaw pain. Because the TMJ disorder stems from the joint that connects the jawbone to the skull, jaw pain is another common symptom. This can make doing routine tasks such as eating or talking become painful and difficult.
- Earaches. The jawbone sits close to the ear canal. Because of this, earaches are a common symptom in people who have TMJ in Jacksonville, St. Augustine, and throughout Florida.
- Sinus problems. When TMJ becomes more severe, the effects can spread to the surrounding sinuses. With the ear, nose, and throat all connected, it is common for pain to extend out as the condition becomes worse.
- Dizziness. Because your eardrums impact your balance, some patients feel dizzy from TMJ. The pain from serious migraine headaches can also cause this dizziness.
If you are concerned that you may have TMJ, it is vital that you contact Dr. Steven Freeman, a St. Augustine cosmetic dentist at Elite Smiles Dentistry. When you meet with Dr. Freeman, he will perform noninvasive tests to learn more about your jawbone and bite. With this information, he can provide you with an effective treatment plan to help rid you of these common symptoms. Call 904-940-3933 today to schedule your initial consultation.